Friday 27 March 2009

Young Earth Creationists vs Reality

Young Earth Creationists (YECs) believe the whole world and the entire Universe was created by God less than 10,000 years ago.

Yes, you're right: barking mad.

10,000 years is somewhat less than the time it takes light to travel from the centre of our Milky Way galaxy to here. Yet astronomers can see galaxies more than 13 billion light years away.

As a silly service to truth and understanding I present an unbiased timeline history of the Universe. I leave out a few trillion events, but waddaya gunna do?

And oh, yeah: each vertical pixel below is equal to over 2 million years...



Young Earth Creationists really need to get a sense of perspective.

Quick! Fetch the Total Perspective Vortex...

9 comments:

  1. Fucking hilarious! Thanks for the laugh! I hope you don't mind if I save that picture to my hard drive and pull it out from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's times like this I am SO glad that we're married...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...you mean if we weren't married, you'd have to beat me over the head with a crucifix...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larian,

    Thanks, and you're more than welcome to it. Do pass it on... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darlinge,

    Apart from your beautiful blue eyes (and other cute bits I won't share online,) 'tis your sense of humour that first attracted me.

    Always has, always will my love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But...but...but...what about this?

    http://www.technoccult.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/jesus_dinosaur.jpg

    How can this not be true? It's on my blog.

    http://wisdomofthewest.blogspot.com/2008/12/some-science-for-non-scientists.html

    Best,
    Jim H.

    btw: I'm thinking about cross-posting your timeline over at my blog, with your kind permission.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim H.,

    Please feel free to reuse the timeline. And I have displayed the Jesus on a dino image, to help explain it to you... :-) cheers, Peter

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's like one of those longcat drawings, just more sciencey.

    ReplyDelete